Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Boosting 404 drum brakes fitting power steering help

8K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  Steve404 
#1 ·
Hi all I have just got my first unimog 404 and it's goooood but does any one know how to boost those drum brakes and maybe get power steering on her any help would be gooood thanks in advance:)

#4 ·
I have complete power steering setups from 406's for sale if you want to add it to you truck. I have sold quite a few of these setups to guys with 404's. They can be found on my web site.

#7 ·
The BWM Mini, Vauxhall Corsa and several other modern cars have electric power steering which is self contained in the steering column. It's been done a few times on mog's over here, where graft on the donor steering column and add 12v (self contained ECU in the column), and hey presto, power steering, and light as anything since it's still going through the normal steering box.

#12 ·
EPAS systems are the future. The Ford F150 pickups are now running electric power steering. It is becoming quite common.

So common that last Thursday I opened a box that came from Europe with a complete EPAS system for the Pinzgauer. We expect to get it installed in the next week or two and see the results.

Discussions are already underway in regards to the 404 units.

If you look at the benefits they are huge.

#1 - "Assist" is programmable. You have a little dash mounted knob that you can adjust for more assist and less assist.

#2 - No Disconnect Within the column. Lose the assist and you still have your regular steering.

#3 - Ease of use/installation. Very straight forward installation with no permanent modifications required. Wan't to return back to stock....a couple of hours.

#4 - No power steering pump needed, no hoses, no HP drain on the engine.

Only drawback I can think of at this point is we are having difficulty with finding these in 24V. Amp draw is not that bad, but an electrical system modification will be required to get the 12V feed.

We shall see. I'll drop in a video of our installation on the Pinz. Hope to get a couple of 404 columns up to the manufacturer in Germany for testing/fitment soon.

Cheers,

Scott

#13 ·
This could be huge!
You would think for a Pinz it would be 24v but converting to 12v is a lot simpler that trying to jerry rig a PS setup that is for sure.
Exciting news
I like the #2 point made above - if it breaks your not SOL you just back to manual steering!

#24 ·
This is great news!
I did a quick Ebay search for "Electric Power Assist Steering" and found a number of possible donors in the US.

Electric Power Assist Steering | eBay

I will hit the boneyards here in Ensenada, Baja, Mx. (60 miles from San Diego, Ca) in the next few days so I can get a hands on feel for the animal. Many totalled cars come across every day, used parts from American cars are very plentiful here.

#27 ·
From wiki:

Electric power steering (EPS or EPAS) uses an electric motor to assist the driver of a vehicle. Sensors detect the position and torque of the steering column, and a computer module applies assistive torque via the motor, which connects to either the steering gear or steering column. This allows varying amounts of assistance to be applied depending on driving conditions. Engineers can therefore tailor steering-gear response to variable-rate and variable-damping suspension systems, optimizing ride, handling, and steering for each vehicle.[15] On Fiat group cars the amount of assistance can be regulated using a button named "CITY" that switches between two different assist curves, while most other EPS systems have variable assist. These give more assistance as the vehicle slows down, and less at faster speeds. In the event of component failure that fails to provide assistance, a mechanical linkage such as a rack and pinion serves as a back-up in a manner similar to that of hydraulic systems.
The first electric power steering system appeared on the Suzuki Cervo in 1988. Today a number of manufacturers use electric power steering.

#28 ·
EPAS systems are the future. The Ford F150 pickups are now running electric power steering. It is becoming quite common.

So common that last Thursday I opened a box that came from Europe with a complete EPAS system for the Pinzgauer. We expect to get it installed in the next week or two and see the results.

Discussions are already underway in regards to the 404 units.
I can't wait to see this. Please post more info when available. :)

#29 ·
Hi Guys,

First and foremost you are messing around with one of the most important if not the most important system for a vehicle. Secondly, most of the units in the junk yards are going to be integrated into numerous computer controlled functions.

There are also numerous configurations. From what I understand the manufacturer of this unit has a selection of 40+ electric motors based upon weights, forces, ratios, etc.

The unit we are testing here is made by EZ Powersteering. EZ Electric Power Steering

It appears to be pretty plug and play, designed for our application, computer controls taken care of and a sensitivity knob.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Scott

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.