Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

For sale:1976 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9 european model

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  OGMERC 
#1 ·
This car has been with me for twenty years. VIN # WDB11603612002996. White, brown leather, automatic, sun roof. Asking $6,000 OBO

#3 ·
Location of the car: Miami Fl. It has been in the garage for the last 18 years with only occasional use and maintenance. My husband loved these old cars, but he passed away and I need to sell them. I already sold a 1956 Packard Caribbean Conv and a 1941 Cadillac Series 75 and the Mercedes is the only one left of his antique cars. I would say is in good running condition. Repairs needed, I don't know anything about that. I have an online ad with Hemmings that shows about six photos.

#8 ·
Wow, for some reason I thought the 6.9s were unobtanium or something. That looks, at least from the photos, like a perfectly aged car for an extremely reasonable price. Good luck with the sale and condolences on your loss, this kind of reason for a sale is never desired.

#11 · (Edited)
I am quite interested in this car - out of ten Mercedes I've owned only one had been garaged for 17 years and boy did it show when you drove it...sadly that car (also a W116, a 1980 300SD) was run into by a freight truck. I still have it and will probably repair it in time, but I really want one that hasn't had any serious mishaps, and I've had my heart set on a long-wheelbase model for some time. I even bought a '77 450SEL but unfortunately a previous owner had cheaply/dishonestly covered up many serious rust issues and that car has little future but the scrapyard.

I've always said, if I ever bought a 6.9, I'd want the euro model...that would be the ultimate W116 for my preferences. This one also has the manual climate control which I prefer and a sunroof that is a must. Even the original radio is still present which means the wiring hasn't been molested as many have (I rather prefer that radio!). I don't mind repairs and expect the suspension probably needs significant investment to get up to par...what I'm most interested in is the chassis being free from corrosion.

I'm nearly a thousand miles away but I had good experience buying my '74 450SE (with minor known rust and paint issues) from Florida... I would like to arrange a weekend to come down and see the car in person - if it looks good I can make a deposit while I'm there. It will take me a about a month to get the full amount together...is it driveable as it is? The most preferable option would be to come pick it up and drive it to the Amtrack Auto Rail (a service that you can use to ship a car along with your passage between Florida and the northeast).

Anyways if this sounds workable to you please let me know and I'll get tickets to come have a look shortly!

#13 · (Edited)
Man, I really wanted this car. Now the guy who bought it has listed it on eBay trying to turn a quick profit - asking price is $10k now. The description seems a bit of a stretch:

"The last owner purchased this Mercedes-Benz 6.9 Sedan in 1991 and just sold it to us this year.

She is a very nice little old lady and this was her personal ride for many years."

It's also listed as a 1978 though I am pretty certain it is a 1976 because all newer 6.9's had automatic climate control whereas this one has manual.

#14 ·
I'm sorry that you or someone else here on BW didn't have the chance to pick it up.

I guess the value is in the eye of the beholder, but I thought the car was fully priced here on BW for the current condition it is in. I doubt the person on eBay will be able to flip it for a quick profit like he thinks he will. Time will tell.

#15 ·
True, the economy isn't so hot right now for selling. And true that it's not in top shape, but if it's corrosion-free that's the most important thing. You have to realize when purchasing a 6.9 that you're going to be investing heavily in suspension and other 6.9-specific parts that are hard to come by and will surely need replaced if not immediately then in the near future.

I'm still going to try to get it if I can arrange a payment schedule with the current seller. I told him based on what I knew he bought it for I figured an offer of $7.5-8k was reasonable, we'll see what happens...

#18 ·
I'd definitely take a look at it first. If you are seriously interested in a 6.9 just keep your eyes open. But be patient too as they are relatively "plentiful" - at least in the sense that there are always a few for sale somewhere in the U.S. They seem to always pop up. There is a Euro in Denver I believe right now for the 5K range and a few others ...

#20 ·
I am so sorry I didn't get in touch with you first. I too would have liked the car to stay inside the BW to be really appreciated. I'm sorry to say that since I am selling my house and needed to sell I gave it away for $2500.00. You say is on Ebay but I haven't been able to find it. Yes, the buyer is a dealer but I didn't realize that until later.

#22 ·
#25 ·
I literally had to delete the bookmark for the ad on Hemmings for this car because I wanted it so much, but have no money or room for another car.

I'm near tears reading that it was sold for $2500.
It's very sad to see the car went to someone who is simply trying to flip it, instead of someone who can enjoy it.

I hope they don't make a penny.

#28 ·
Part of me would be all for dismantling the original suspension for financial reasons, but from people I have talked to that own 6.9's it it anthema. Especially if it is a Euro and it would have been equiped with adjustable ride height.

Bottom line, NO ONE that is obsessed with these cars and has a true interest would pay anywhere close to 10K for one with a gutted suspension.

Just to put things in perspective too, a euro 6.9 with legit AMG body kit in excellent condition sold for about $5,000 last month.

#33 · (Edited)
^Spoke to the guy in LA(Newhall CA)

from his tone of voice it sounds like hes had 100 calls from people looking for beaters! he was a little fed up and short on words.. but i managed to calm him down and get some info from him..

basically, this car(AND Another 6.9 which is also on the same lot) have been at his fathers shop for a long time, like 5 years.. He had several other vintage MB's including a 280SE Cabriolet.. ALso had a 16k mile BMW M6 that had been sitting there forever, but he wants $10k for it...

Basically, if youre looking for one to FULLY restore, call him and tell him you want to look at and possibly buy both of them(dont buy one without the other) His shop is closed for the weekend, but im sure you can call him.. just know that he really doesnt care to be taking phone calls about these "anchors".. so you'll have to tread lightly and get to the point - meaning, committing to going to see the car(s). In other words, unless youre looking to make a hobby out of owning and spending $20k+ to rebuild 2 6.9's, i wouldnt waste your time..

BOTH 6.9's come with titles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.