Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Changing Air Filter

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  AZN_C300 
#1 ·
How do you change your air filter in the 08' C-Class? Is it true that there are superior air filters or is that just a myth? Thanks

#2 ·
pull off the forward front cover. Remove the two intake pipes by twisting and pulling. Remove the rest of the cover (pressure held) which doubles as the airbox to access the filters underneath.

There are other filter options but there's a trade off. The media might not filter as much in exchange for higher airflow (performance). I'm running BMC F1 filters which is what the Mercedes uses for their C63 DTM race car and I'm sure there's some performance benefit for them to justify the switch from the standard Mann+Hummel.

#4 · (Edited)
If you are asking if there is a difference between, say, a cotton based filter such as K&N filters and the stock, paper based, Mann filter, its very opinion based. I think the consensus was the K&N does indeed improve air flow but at the cost of possibly letting more dust/sand/dirt into your engine.

How much of a difference? I doubt you'd be able to feel a difference because it's so miniscule. I'm not sure about the cost of the K&N but I think it goes for about $30+ for one filter(you need two) versus the stock paper filters which go for, at most, $30 a pair.

Heres a link to the DIY:
K&N High Flow Air Filter Installation - MBWorld.org Forums

If you want my opinion, I just recently changed my engine air filters (maybe a week ago) and there were close to two palm fulls of sand (combined) sitting below the filters. So if you can imagine that much sand constantly being sucked towards your filters when your engine is on. Some of the finer pieces are bound to get through. That was my first filter change with my Mercedes and I was glad I purchased paper-based filters instead. It's ultimately up to you though.

#7 ·
I'm probably just as clueless as you. Maybe 95% of the 38,000 miles that are on the Mercedes have been from driving around San Francisco. Maybe it's the location of the air intake or something, but i've never seen so much sand from my corolla, even if I neglected to change the air filter.

I agree that its strange to have so much sand in the air filter and I don't think I would use a higher air flow filter based on my experience. It's entirely up to the owner though.

#8 ·
I found a You Tube video on how to change the filters in the C 230, but it should be just about the same. I use K & N and have for years in all my cars without any problems. You just have to take them out regularly and clean and LIGHTLY re oil them.

#10 ·
I think what most people recommend is Mann+Hummel. I'm not sure if its stock quality, but it is made in Germany. RE posted a link to a store where you can purchase it, or you can check out Amazon, eBay, your local auto-parts store, etc. Any place should suffice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.