Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Desirability of 65 190D

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  wbain 
#1 ·
I usually hang out at the 107 section since I have a 450SL, however I'v come across a possible trade for one of my old Dodges against a 65 190D. I'm waiting for pictures, so I havn't even seen it. The guy claims the interior is nice but it needs a kingpin..... I think he might mean balljoint, not sure on that, he also says there's rust on the floorpans, again, I'm not sure on that point either, but have done my share of welding, and depending, it might not be an issue... if it's not much. I take it that t runs also. Frankly, I have to go look at it if I like what I see in the pictures he's supposed to email me. But.... are the Fintails worth hobby restoring? I'm not talking full on restoration, rather presentable and roadworthy. Are the 190D motor parts tough to find, I didn't really see much in the line of parts around on what few sites I went to. This 190D has my ears perked, but I don't want to really tie up all my time on something too hammered, instead focus on my 450SL, which is nice enough. Would you guys think it an interesting acquisition? or a big headache?

#2 ·
Unless it is a diesel -the car value is mostly in its tires...
Cars are very cheap lately. You can buy high mileage W210 for $2000-3000.
Why bother with welding and painting when few hundreds more buys you a good car, that will have much more safety and will save fuel comparing to old hogs.

#3 ·
I can't help but think that a 190D is most likely, in fact, a diesel, but that's merely a guess.

I agree with the your sentiments, though, there are plenty of fintails to be had without welding until past the Third Coming.

#5 ·
More fintail disrespect! :D. Even in a vintage forum. Whodda thunk? Even the last issue of the Star dissed the w110 as "not worth seeking out". The reason why--"there are so few good examples left." I always thought that rarity contributed to the value of a classic car.

At any rate, They are too cool! :bowdown: And really fun to drive. Simple, and I mean dead simple to work on. Most parts are available from online suppliers or as a last resort, the Classic Center. Body and trim parts are going to be hard to find. Ebay usually has a selection of these items at various prices.

But yes, and sadly, they are not worth very much at present time. Really good examples are likely to only bring $4k or so. You need to have a soft spot for these cars to be a successful owner, IMO.

#6 · (Edited)
--"there are so few good examples left." I always thought that rarity contributed to the value of a classic car.

At any rate, They are too cool! :bowdown: And really fun to drive. Simple, and I mean dead simple to work on.
I have seen about a half dozen different 190 variations locally, but this is a big "old Benz" town because of the oldest dealership and strong vintage support from indies. I think the people dissing the cars the most are the ones hoarding them to resell because nobody else kept theirs. I haven't driven one but they look the part.

To the OP, don't buy a rusted our car, weren't these unibody? You would never be able to come close to what the engineers built into these cars, even in that year. As stated, these are "unloved" right now which gives you the pick of the litter, it's a buyer's market on vintage cars. Buy a cheap one from a no rust climate and ship it for $800 in an open transport or drive it and if it breaks you can ship it then. :) I just shipped a 1999 across country like that and there were no problems, even the little hood star stayed onboard. lol

#7 ·
To the OP: this is a kingpin front suspension. Parts are available.

As was stated, rust is a deal killer. Floorpans are not that big a deal, but rockers, chassis, or fender rust are going to send you down a long (and probably unsatisfying) road.

#11 ·
The injection pump will fail long before the engines gives up! Also quite expensive.
Bull! Injection pumps will last a long time.

#9 ·
The 1965 190D is a 4 cyl diesel with around 50hp. 0-60mph is timed with a calender. Body was unitized so rust is deadly. Independent rear end used a wet axle with swing arm joint. Front suspension was rock solid with kingpins joining uper and lower wishbone suspension and front wheel disc brakes. If perfect it makes a nice sunday driver for the German American Festival parade. They are from an era of European thrift (pre luxury) and do not usually have any bells or whistles. Trans is manual 4 speed on the column.

#10 ·
Thanks guys, I guess these 190D's are a small group in the realm of Mercedes enthusiasts. I might be better off to pass on this one. I really don't want to pick up another 3-4 year project, unless this one checks out with the rust assessment. My 450SL will keep me busy I'm sure, at least for another year as I cherry everything. It's close, but I certainly see another 2 K being spent. The 190, likely substantially ore. I really would love to own a cherry 190 however, my friend has one that he's had since the 70's, it's a 59 190 gas wagon. It was semi restored in the 80's, but left to decline since. Since he sees it as the quintessential surf wagon, I really don't see him ever selling. I just wish he'd redo it back to its glory days, but that's doubtful really. Still, he wants me to come out to Cal for a visit, I might just stay and give him a hand in fixing it. It only needs back side windows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.