Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1997 C280 Rear Brake Pad replacement question?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Check Codes 
#1 ·
Almost time to order a rear brake pad set for my 1997 C280.I see it could be a two pin retaining or maybe one retaining pin? Anyone know for sure before i order the wrong set?
Thanks, Troy.....

#2 ·
Easiest thing to do is pop a rear wheel and take a look. If you have smaller hands and good manual dexterity you can lay on the ground and reach in and feel it as well.

#6 ·
It's the caliper design. Every manufacturer does this, either making changes part way through a model run or using a different design in a different facility.

In the time you've spent posting and pondering, you could have checked and ordered the darn things... :rolleyes:

#8 ·
All he needs to do is pull a wheel and look; why would you remove the old pads and leave the car disabled? :confused:

The pin count is (supposedly) tied to the chassis number, but there are plenty of examples where the chassis number says one thing and the calipers say something different. It's the same issue with the 210 chassis. And I'm one of those guys whose chassis number says one thing, so if I buy pads based on my chassis number, I'll end up with pads that don't fit my car.

Hence the suggestion to spend a few minutes confirming EXACTLY what is actually on the car.

If for some rational reason you don't want to do that, buy both, then return the ones you don't need.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.