Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FS

2K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  MB300Dave 
#1 ·
68-250-111body-4d sed-4on the floor-needs restoration- have all rust repair parts- rockers- rear wheel well repair parts- Danish Aftermarket and new front fenders. No sensible offer refused. It's just a plain package.

#4 ·
It was bought by a doctor in S. Africa and shipped to Chicago maybe 40 years ago-- not your 72 280 six with Bosch EFI or 82 240 diesel it is a gas operated machine with 2 Zenith Stromberg carburetors and is most like an ancient taxicab and is maybe a scrapper or museum piece!

#6 ·
No pix It ain't photogenic after being in a garage for 25 years! I drove it over to the new house then and shut it down-- never had time to fix it while raising a family--I don't even know if an early unibody is roadworthy after that long a time. The engine and trans were rebuilt before I bought it and my son got a replacement european headlight assembly for the broken one it had. I drove it for a year when some guy turned left in front of me and trashed the R frt fender! I got a pair of new fenders and rust repair parts from the dealer and J.C.Whitney while the getting was good. It needs a home and i'm too old to mess with it! The boys are into jeep, chevy and BMW so they don't want it.

#7 ·
You're never to old to restore an MB. Esp if you have all the parts! Are you going to part it out than?

Dave

#9 ·
Yeah you could be right the motor is probably a 114.920-10-000 001 like the manual says. It has the smooth taillights not the horizontally ribbed ones of later makes. There is no letter designation after the 250 on the deck lid ( such as s-super for supercharged or sl- sport liecht or se super einspritz or sel for 4" langer ). I guess cars sold in other countries don't have all the deck lid I.D. that the US cars had!

#11 ·
Does it look like this? If so, it's a 114, not a 111.

Attachments

#13 ·
If it's a rust bucket then it's probably a parts car. A decent non-rusty 114 can be purchased for probably less than the cost of fixing one. The manual trans is a nice touch as are the euro lights, but unfortunately the 114 isn't a highly collectible car, particulary in sedan form...

Maybe I should turn my 71 250 C into a 4-speed euro !!!!

#14 ·
Yeah the trans might bolt up to your coupe. The 2 door is collectible and mine is a taxi cab style of body-- I've seen it in several old movies in that role! My pal at the old dealership gave me the WDM ( wiring ) to change to American sealed beam lights. I don't think that is a requirement now for foreign cars over here and I got extra headlamp bulbs for the Euro lights. Maybe some of them are still good after all these years. The Clutch is an hydraulic style with piston actuation and might not be too much modification. The old shift lever was Chromed steel and failed because the nascent h+ was not baked out good enough so there was a second factory run to convert them to chrome oxided steel which this trans has.

#17 ·
I've got a very good Lincoln SP100 that's good for my farm or whatever else I need it for! A friend of mine let me use his to rebuild a horse trailer a year ago Aug. Was welding 3/16 angle & 16g metal w it. My wife found a used one just like it on Ebay & bought it for me for Christmas. Makes rust repair fun!

Dave

#19 ·
Lincoln is the standard welder of choice--good buy! Mines a Century flux wire welder with the inert gas add on. The LIncoln takes a steady hand and has a longer duty cycle than the Century I got. If I'm up to it I'll use a compressor driven hi-speed cut off to cut out the old metal but then I got to get the skill back to tack and seam weld those rust repair parts on-----Ben

#20 ·
That's what I had a Century. My Dad & I both had one. He used it to weld in patches in his 57 Chevy PU back in 93. still look as fresh as when he put 'em in.

I did that gas tank add on, but it wasn't strong enough to weld up a gate for my 16' hay trailer.

I think Lincoln still may be made here in the USA. At least the last time I was pricing a brand new one. My wife bought me my used SP100 on Ebay. It's all the welder I'll ever need!

I do the high speed cutter as well. Another thing that helps hold every thing in place are those strong magnetic holders. Think I got 'em cheap at Harbor Freight.

I love Mig welding!
Dave

#22 ·
The look like arrows are red & WORK GREAT Very strong. I just leave them on my metal cart! They really make welding fun!

#26 ·
The latest Rudolph Diesel I drove in Germany last month but it was a Ford Kuga--very spry for a diesel! They run with two types of Diesel fuel comparable to our HD1 and HD2-- the larger nozzle at the gas station doesn't fit the new cars and you got to use the "super"diesel! It costs as much for a liter as a gallon here but the mileage is greatly improved as is the performance! The Daimler Benzes and BMW'ts zip by you on the A routes (autobahns). Get the 6speed stick shift and wear the narrowest shoes you got as the foot pedals are very close together and avoid the 1,2,5 shift ---- very narrow gates on the shifter!! no glow plugs to turn on first--just hit the brake and clutch and start button or key --- the car starts like it was gas. Well maybe you aren't going to Stuttgart Sindelfingen but I thought I'd talk about the Diesels---Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.