Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1985 euro 2.3-16v AMG (yes, AMG)

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Dr. Sternschnuppe 
#1 · (Edited)
What makes this car so incredibly rare and special is the AMG-enhanced 2.3-16v engine – ask any expert out there, they’ll tell you that it doesn’t even exist; that AMG never built one. I have documented evidence of the AMG-ness of this car, and I bought it earlier this year from the original owner.

The good:
1. Documented AMG – I have the original AMG receipt with the VIN that matches the car (see pics).
2. Original condition with service records verifying the 50,000 miles. Original paint – no accidents and no door dings. Always garaged. Always loved. One owner from 1985 to 2011.
3. Euro version with higher compression engine, dogleg manual transmission, adjusting headlights, and manual euro climate control.
4. New Continental tires; smooth even at high speeds.
5. Runs and drives excellent – tracks straight under cruising and braking. All fluids just changed.
6. Interior in excellent condition – no stains, no tears, no dash cracks.
7. Engine fast and smooth. No engine or transmission leaks (see pic).
8. Everything except AC works (see below).

The bad:
1. AC is missing compressor; everything else there. Has been disassembled for a long while when compressor failed on original owner. Blower works, controls work, heater works.
2. Rust – has rust bubbles on front wings (see pics); common to factory 16v body kits, I’m afraid. Minimal rust elsewhere on body (see pics), but none in jack holes, lower corners, under the doors, or on the rockers.
3. Vacuum lines are disconnected from the headlights.

The car currently resides under a cover in an airplane hangar in West Houston. Title is clear and in my possession - have all service records from previous owner and myself. Selling because I have too much crap - nine cars right now. Can't sell the w126 because I'm too attached to it, just bought a '94 wagon to haul kids/dogs and for general mayhem, and no one wants my '65 pickup yet b/c it needs a boatload of money thrown at it. All this stuff is living at the airport hanger, and it's time to 'move something out' to lower my sanity level. If I was collector-dude, I'd keep in a corner and put 500 miles a year on it, but really, that's silly. I drive everything I own, but there's just no room or time for me to drive three Mercedes, three daily drivers, a classic truck, a really cool CJ, and a race car.

$13,000 - pretty damn firm on it. Don't need the money.

MORE PICS: 16v For Sale pictures by tetontayton - Photobucket

See less See more
#5 ·
fantastic looking car, price seems right too!
:bowdown:

#13 ·
AMG only listed in the documentation as you read it (increase HP to 210); however for the 2.5-16v models, AMG came out with an "AMG Power Pack" that was a hotter cams, different valve springs, and a retuned ECU for a bump to 225hp. Would assume these mods are the same; perhaps this car was one of the earlier testers (or first?) of the "AMG Power Pack" - who knows. My car was done in 1985 and the 2.5-16 Power Pack was in 1988.

#14 ·
Wish you were closer... I'd love to drive it and see how it compares to my 04 E55. I wish my AMG was a stick... Good luck with the sale. My stable is currently full also. I wish I could keep my cars in an Aircraft hangers.

#15 ·
beautiful car have an 86 and 87 in the same color but need an 85:):)
would you be interested in a partial trade for a 2006 bmw k1200r collector motorcycle in mint condition which requires much less space to store and is infinitely faster and more fun to drive :) well almost

take care
Peter

#22 ·
205/50/16 on 16 x 7.5 wheels, but you can get away with different on the w123s. I think the recommended tire size on the 16 x 8 wheels was 245/50/16.

This is my old 280E AMG with 15" pentas. Don't remember the tire size on the w123.

#24 ·
That's very cool. Helps.
That 280E you had is way cool. I would have loved to get my hands on it.
Mine's an auto, but has some interesting options - websto heater, abs, heated seats, airbag and rear hydropneumatic suspension. Pic is pre - AMG wheels like on your 190.
The w123 AMG was way cool, but it had more rust issues than a Texan can handle. Very cool w123 you got - great options. When you finish the wheels, be sure to post pics in the w123 forum - I'd like to see.

#25 · (Edited)
Well, my plan was to sell the 500SE to support the purchase of a 1971 300SEL 6.3 (which I bought with Doktorno - it's cool!), and then keep the 16v AMG as 'toy'. This week, a customer of mine turned me on to a one-owner 1969 Porsche 911s Targa for sale near me that he's not going 'public' with, and I'm in love. Not with the seller, but with the car! Original top to bottom. All records. One-owner since 1969! I gotta buy it. It's one of those have-to's.

And since I'm lacking more room than cash, once again I've got to keep the size of the herd near 'normal' for me. Hence the 16v is back on the market. If interested, email or PM me.

Refresher course on 16v AMG:
* One owner from 1985-2011
* 50k miles
* All service records
* Original AMG documentation showing this car had AMG engine modifications (!) AMG also painted the grill and badges and put in the interior wood kit in 1985 (Classic Motors in Chicago, aka AMG of North Am)
* Drives great; fast and extremely fun
* Some rust (damn euros)
* AC not working; needs new system (blower and heater do work, however)
* No accidents, no paint, all original

Rare? Holy crap. The 'official' 2.5-16 AMG Power Pack gave 225hp was made available in 1989 which consisted of cams, polished/ported heads, and computer remap. This car was AMG-tweaked in 1985 with the same modifications and produced 210hp according to my AMG documentation; my guess would be this was the first (or certainly one of the first) 16v AMG Power Packs ever created for the 16v - a full four years before the official 2.5-16 Power Pack. Yikes.

#26 ·
Eng. Nr. 102983 10 005978
Grbx. Nr. 717404 00 005944
702 - smoke silver met.
271 - black leather
Dealer: 204 - Bielefeld branch
Spec. equipment:
410 - el. sliding roof
466 - central locking sys.
504 - right outside rear view mirror, electrically adjustable
532 - automatic antenna w/o radio set
591 - heat-insulating glass, rear single-sheet safety

Nice car! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.