Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Neutral/Park safety switch replacement

25K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  universeman 
#1 · (Edited)
A few weeks back I was stranded 50 miles from home, the problem turned out to be a faulty NSS switch preventing the car starting.

After initially shorting out the switch to get going, I got round to replacing it tonight. Luckily I had a spare switch from my old 350 engine/gearbox.

Old unit.

Here are the tools I used, 8 and 10mm spanners, socket wrench and a flat headed screw driver for levering.

Front support.

Rear support

Here is the switch on the side of the gearbox, tight access.

Releasing the switch from the shaft with a 10mm socket.

Releasing the bottom fixing bolt 8mm.

Releasing the top bolt 8mm.

Once the bolts were off, the switch could be levered off and the connector was released.

The connecting rod was then released from the stick bush and the entire assemble was removed.

Reassembly was done simply in the reverse order with the replacement switch and link.

See less See more
#14 ·

Where do you guys think it should go?

There is no trans section in the EGv107, 'cuz I copied the online Service Manual system and there's no trans section in it.

So what about Section 54, electrical, or what?

We do have Drivetrain...
Nice job RaceDiagnostics, should go in a new section 27 in EGv107. Group 27 is transmission. Have attached the factory manual in German for this job # 27-130.

Attachments

#4 ·
Drivetrain would be good. Or electrical.
A trans section would be best. I know there have been posts on the modulator valve and trans. mount. Pretty sure someone did a post on trans filter and draining torque converter. My brain has been rattled around the last couple of days bouncing in a tractor mowing and raking hay.

#7 ·
Hello,

I'm currently wrestling with symptoms of this very same issue (no start). I just replaced the bushing on my linkage. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c...45-no-start-no-click-no-turn.html#post4969390

My car is a 1981 380SL. Looking at your pictures, the unit your calling the NSS, where the linkage connects onto the "stud" from the unit. I have that same unit, however what perplexes me is that online pictures of the NSS are not that.

Example: Mercedes® Neutral Safety Switch, 107/123/124/126/140/202/210 chassis - Mercedes Parts and Accessories

This part I do have on my transmission; is it located right beside where the linkage assembly your showing was removed from.

#10 · (Edited)
bear in mind, he was working on a 450, so differences could easily exist. I understood you to say yours was "like" his, so I pointed you in the direction of what matched RD's switch.

I'd recommend you shop elsewhere, or confirm part number. ...or you can order from performance products, an otherwise reputable parts house (in this case something is amiss, either the picture or part fitment).

Better yet, contact Mercedes Parts, Mercedes-Benz Parts for the part... not listed on his online catalog, but online only has a portion of what he has available. Then there is always the dealer...

#12 ·
The EPC god has spoken...

Thanks, rowdie. I don't have access to my resources when away from home, and computer I am working on is not mine (and has some kind of glitch with .pdf's which I will not explore).

I'm out. G'nite all...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.