Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

76 240D master key question

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GeeS 
#1 ·
Can the square master key be duplicated using the VIN number. I have the round valet key only. The master key is missing so I cannot unlock the trunk unless someone can tell me how to utilize the vacuum lock system to unlock the trunk if that's even possible. :cool::cool:

#2 ·
Yes. Take the current registration (some dealers might require the the title) and a photo I.D. to the dealer and they will order a key for you. This key will be for the ORIGINAL lock cylinder so if someone has replaced the ignition it won't work.

You might get lucky. Most of the glove box lock cylinders have all of the tumblers installed (the missing tumblers are the difference between the keys). You can pull the lock and have a locksmith cut you a key. Have them use a STEEL blank. If they can't/wont supply you with a steel key then consider it as "rainy day" use only. The soft keys are one of the best ways to bugger up an ignition lock cylinder.

#3 ·
You can also cut a new master key, using the valet as a template. The only difference is the key blank. Get your hands on a master key blank, and you're in business.

#4 · (Edited)
No sir, you can cut a valet key from a blank to a valet key. But just cutting a key does not make it a master. And a master key is one that will start any Mercedes (with that lock), not just his.

Master = Manufacturer

Owner = All lock's

Valet = no trunk or glove box.

If I told you, you only had to file the valet key to make it a owner key, what would you say?

#5 ·
The only difference between a master key and a valet is the key blank, and you can absolutely create a functional master key by cutting a master key blank, using your valet key for a template, since they have identical cuts. I should know, I have done just that literally dozens of times. Furthermore, you can easily turn a master key into a valet key, though you cannot turn a valet key into a master.

#6 ·
Your still saying master key. Its a owner key. A master key will turn all Mercedes ignition locks.

His car has a possibility of 1296 key's. Ask me how I know that.

Is your valet key stamped with a number at all?

#7 ·
Are you serious? This is about semantics? :rolleyes: Go back and see what Mercedes called the key that operates the ignition and opens the trunk 35 years ago (the age of the car in the op), if it means that much to you. Now please stop trolling the thread with this nonsense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.