Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

"brake service" warning reset

106K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  rabskyline 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Done the search, read the responses--seems like a variety of opinions. Help. Got the non-red "BRAKE service brake visit workshop" warning. Replaced rear pads--front left pad had cut the sensor wire, but there is still LOTS of pad left so, yes, I just cut and shorted the 2 wires--thinking it would fool the car into thinking it has new pads then wait for the right front to go to replace pads. So, right now I have the 3 sensors (2 front and right rear) sending the computer "all is swell' signals. Now the dash indicator still has not cleared. I have actuated the brakes several times to pump up the system. SBC making all the right noises. Finally, my question. Should the warning clear itself once the sensors are replaced or does it need to still be reset be STAR or is there a way to reset myself? I noted some posts regarding pedal cycles exceeding a preset amount and giving a warning but I did have a bad sensor, so I am making the leap this is waht initiated this warning.
Thanks, all knowing MB wrenchers!
Larry

#2 ·
The sensor is a "broken wire" sensor, it must be replaced to work. You may have twisted them together, but it does not work that way.

#3 ·
Actually shorting the wires does work, the trick is to remove the 2nd layer of insulation before you solder them together. After you remove the outside cover, the wire looks bare but in reality it is still covered by a translucent layer of insulation, if you apply a soldering iron to it it will melt away and you will be able to solder the 2 ends, and your brake wear warning will disappear. Check the connection with a resistance meter at the connector end.
I only did this on the 1/2 life sensor, I do not recommend doing this on the 1/4 life sensors.
There is nothing you can do to reset the dash error, all sensors need to have a continious circuit for it to disappear.

#4 ·
yeah, I thought it should work. I did go through the 2 layers of insulation, soldered, then verified continuity with a multi-meter. So, lets assume I have 3 happy sensors, properly plugged in to the correct spot. Any ideas why the warning will not go away?
Thanks

#5 ·
Did you disconnect the SBC before you worked on your brakes? I read somewhere on this forum that it takes "several cycles" for the message to disappear.
Also, (at least on my car), sensor related messages always have the word "Wear" in them, other brake messages may be referring to the SBC unit it self or other brake components.

#6 ·
I did disconnect the SBC--pulled the plug at the unit. As the only sensor that was really worn to breaking the wire was the left front--the early 50% warning--would that trigger this warning? I read in some posts about a "+" warning if the 50% wears. Where does that show?
I will put some miles on it to see if it clears, but if not, any other ideas before I surrender the car to MB? (they will LOVE my shorted sensor!)

#7 · (Edited)
I had the service brake visit workshop error appear on my 04 E55 when I bought it from a colleague. It wasn't there 2 weeks prior when I test drove it. Between that time the previous owner had the brakes done by an indie shop. He said that the shop didn't have the white left front sensor in stock and that was was what was propbably causing the message to pop up.

I talked to a MB tech that I know and he said theres only really only 2 causes on the early 211's that can cause it. The SBC and the brake light switch. I bought it the stealership and it was the SBC. "Service life exceed". MB replaced and flushed the brakes free of charge. The SBC has a 10 year warranty on it. Also the tech told me that the front left sensor will not pop a code or a warning in the cluster. The front left sensor is white sensor that is a 50% percent wear indicator. It only will show up on a SDS to tell the tech that at the next service the pads will probably need replacing. He said his service center cuts the wires, twists them and re-inserts the plug after sealing it to prevent corroision. The other 3 sensors will give you the brake wear warning.

I told the tech that the brakes were also just done before brining it to get checked out. He said the brake job wouldn't have caused the SBC to go and unless the indie shop had a SDS they wouldn't know if the SBC was bad. Just my luck that the SBC went at the time. He said he's changed plenty of them. All you have to do is take it to the dealer saying the brake service - visit workshop message is on the cluster and they will diagnose it. The message is also constantly on. If the SDS says the SBC is exceed its lifetime you don't have to pay for the diagnostic fee and the work is under the warranty. I don't see a difference at all after changing the SBC.

Just my 2 cents.

#14 ·
Changed my pads today, easy !

Still get the warning light but I presume it's because it needs cleared, not the fact that the sensor was missing from the near side since we bought it 5000Klms ago and the offside now has got down to wear sensor (was still on the car) .

Wondering if it actually needs the sensors as the new ones are slightly different shape plugs from original ones. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.