Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Re-Mapping W211 E320 CDI

43K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  corbettjarvis 
#1 ·
Has anybody remapped their car? I have heard re-mapping, as well as providing up to 80-100 bhp, makes the engine feel like new off the lights. If so:

1. Would you recommend it?
2. How much did it cost?
3. What are the benefits from your perspective?

I much perfer remapping rather than a cheaper gas-guzzling mod (i.e. opens the throttle longer) which inadvertantly invalidates the cars insurance. I have been quoted £750 but I am not sure if this cost effective and worth doing. Thanks.

#2 ·
Recommend it? Highly...100bhp? Never, you will usually get 50-60hp more and 60-100nm, maybe a bit more of torque but honestly there is already so much torque in this engine that you just don't need more ;)

Cost depends on whos doing it, everywhere from $500 to $3000. I also recommend boxes over actual ECU re-mapping, i don't think there is any advantage of ECU remapping over boxes on diesel engines.

#5 ·
Guys

Those tuning boxes are dangerous, do not buy one!They simply only "fool" your ecu into changing settings and WILL cause damage in engine after a while. A ecu Re map is basicly completly converting the ecu values properly i.e not fooled. Im a expert vehiclke Remapping agent who owns my own map making company, we supply maps to other companys and make any map for any vehicle for any purpose! I can remap your vehicle very competitivly as my prices are very reasonably low and im a fully mobile service.

Please contact me via a private message or call me on 07790 919405

cheers

YOUR 320 WILL BE TRANSFORMED INTO A ROCKET SHIP ASWELL AS GAINING MORE MPG RANGING FROM 4-8MPG

#6 ·
Can anyone else chime in on the statement that a KD-Box or similar is dangerous. I've read nothing but praise from them everywhere. I've also heard that mb dealers endorse the Kleemann solution. I respect this guy's opinion, but can anyone with expertise and not a personal vested interest in selling a product provide some input?

#7 · (Edited)
Since the thread was full of opposite views I thought I'd post support for this comment. Sounds like coming from an expert and should not need support but think of it a bit, an "ECU remap" can make genuine use of all the external sensors while an external box would need to try and fool sensor readings to reach similar behaviour. This is impossible already because the ECU often feels readings are in safe area while the combination is dangerous. In order to avoid this, external boxes can limit the change of sensor readings but then the effect too would be very limited.

Amazing how someone can think of an external box being better than an ECU program change (assuming both are properly implemented).

Personally I don't see any need for either one and I consider myself not biased but if I were to consider one, I would not touch the external box product.

PS. sounds like a bit of marketing from "ozmo" too, mileage gains should be marginal although some room exists when emissions are compromised.

#8 · (Edited)
rmapping

Please tell me you got a remap and not some rubbish generic box ??

I've always had my cars remapped. Including an E320cdi which was truly a rocket ship afterwards. broader spread of torque, lots more of it and not gutless top end like it is standard.

Custom remapping your vehicle, when done by a professional, is massively complex. A generic cdi/tdi tuning box is a device simply used to boost certain available settings over the ecu - a general device and nothing more. They don't necessarily take into account the hundreds of signals an ecu processes. Crank some boost and over fueling is their reputation. Don't do it (!)

Proper remaps done correctly can be ghost-maps and are undetectable by dealers and insurance companies. They don't necessarily up or void your insurance either. You can have a choice of economy or performance remapping, or 'hard-map' ie for track days.

I've just moved to QLD from the UK and realised no one offers this service properly here and so whilst I'm cross qualifying as a lawyer, I've decided to set up my own company tuning vehicles.

This isn't a shameful advertisement post - far from it ! Although feel free to message me if you would like anything (we now do these awesome v-switch devises - not a generic box, but 3 separate bespoke remaps which constantly write to the ecu when the device is plugged in - this is very different to these normal plug in boxes. Ours is called the v-switch -- so the boxes CAN now be as good as a ghost-map but not a generic box)

But anyway - I've always had my cars done - I had an aggressive map put on my last A180 cdi with AMG everything inside and out. 180hp, 450 NM. 0-100mph in 20 seconds flat (down from 30!) so ignoring what companies suggest they can give you, it's more about spread of torque, throttle response and efficiency it will give your engine which in turn provides increases in everything. The A180 was 15 mpg up regularly on a 3rd lane very early morning commute after the remap too.

So - absolutely - get it done. Check out Viezu.com that's who backs me.

#9 ·
We can all agree that Brabus is one of the most respected tuning companies in the world, correct? They even have their own line of cars. Remaking Mercedes models and selling them as their own with own VIN numbers and all. When their USED Brabus Rocket sells for half a million dollars...you can't have anything else but respect for this company :)

Guess what, this company has a diesel box for their diesel engines. They assured me that the way these diesel engines work, you don't need a re-map if it's done properly. I ran Brabus diesel box for a year before switching to Carlsson diesel box (i just switched with a friend that had it) and have been running it for another year and a half now, again without problems :)

I have another car, gasoline 1.8T Golf GTI which has close to 400hp now (bump from a stock 150hp) and it uses remapped ECU of course since piggyback would be dumb on something like this.

#10 ·
Absolutely - Brabus are awesome. Generally they recommend extra oil coolers, radiators etc though for their proper performance maps. The v-switch we offer is capable of the same. My point was the "generic boxes" are utterly useless and dangerous and when you've spent £60k on an lovely sports E320cdi you don't want to blow it up hey ?!

Huge respect for Brabus though. Love them...

#11 ·
Generic boxes do nothing but raise pressure at common rail and expect ECU to take care of everything else when it senses extra fuel. This is, of course, not the proper way to do things.

Carlsson box is somewhat even more sophisticated than Brabus, it has some extra safety features and it goes inline with ECU monitoring a lot more sensors than Brabus. Kleemann box looks the same as Brabus but their power figures are a bit too high I think. They claim 280hp+ for W211 E320 CDI with inline six engine (204 hp stock). I find this a bit hard to believe.

#14 ·
I get all my mapping from viezu . co m . your 2005 would be fine for a full on ghost-remap. Some of the newest ecu's are more difficult and have to be bench tuned if they are anti-tune. It can all be done though :) Our v-switch runs alongside similarly and use the same maps.

I know the 225hp engine maps comfortably to about 270 odd hp, but the 204hp older one gets 250hp tops unless you want to cause problems:)

#16 ·
ok well everyone here is wrong,
You wont get 60-100bhp or whatever you said
Remapping gives you around 20-25bhp MAX
over that if ur car is desil you can get the KD box,
And or even the sprint Booster.
Sorry for sounding like a dick but dont get your hopes up about remapping
A downside to this is, if theres ever a problem with ur ECU and mercedes have to fix it, u'll lose that power and u'll have to send it away to get re-mapped again.

#18 ·
On turbo cars, for example 911 Turbo you'll get 65+hp easy. On tdi/cdi engine you'll get 30-50% depending on the engine. 25% is normal minimum for a turbo-D-common rail.

If merc reset your ecu your tuning dealer (certainly we do) will remap it again free of charge.

On NA cars you're looking at 10% power and torque increases. My Cayman 's' is MUCH faster than the supposed 22hp gave it. It's About torque, spread of torque, how the curves flow and throttle response too. I think it's a gear faster. ie. 3rd feels like 2nd. That's mental quick.

Easy way to test it is go to a Viezu dealer in your area, with a rolling road if you really must to prove the outputs, but just drive the thing afterwards. You sound like you've never had a remap (or maybe, a proper one) Trust me it makes a huge difference. My wife's A180cdi AMG had an aggressive performance map on it - fuel eco increased by minimum 25% - often more easily - and when hammering it. Dropped the 0-100mph time from 30seconds to 20. Yes. 20. It was a similar story with the E320cdi. I ran it in properly for 6k miles, then remapped it, (always gently warm it up) then hammered it mercilessly for nearly 90k miles and never had any problems.

#17 ·
On a gas/petrol car you are correct.

One the diesels there is a lot more potential to unleash power due to the turbo boost and
the fuel curve being very conservative from the factory. That is for long term durability
and reliability. Pump up the the boost and fuel and the power that can be gained is easily
50% more than a naturally aspirated gas car ECU tweak.

#33 ·
That'd be properly awesome !

Free flow exhaust - I meant sport exhaust - less restrictive so the exhaust gasses leave easier - ie - lower back-pressure, engine breaths better giving better power and torque gains. My cayman 's' has 4 cats too, two of which can be removed without voiding anything - that also has the same affect. 25+ hp from a Miltek sport exhaust on my car ! sweet !

I can do over 90% of modern european cars vehicles - petrol NA and Turbo, and diesel tdi/cdi, many Japanese cars, american cars etc etc. Best if they ask I can get back to them no worries. Soon I'll have a widget on the site so people can check for themselves too! :O)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.