Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ball Joints or Bushings

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mandinga! 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm having a slight squeak from my front driver side wheel. I've done some searching and reading about the ball joints and bushings. My question is this: How do you know if you need to replace a ball joint vs a bushing.

Since I'm going to be in there working, should I just replace all the joints and bushings??

#3 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm having a slight squeak from my front driver side wheel. I've done some searching and reading about the ball joints and bushings. My question is this: How do you know if you need to replace a ball joint vs a bushing.
Since I'm going to be in there working, should I just replace all the joints and bushings??
Since you inquire, I'd check the bushings with a pin or drill-bit of the same diameter as the ball joint spindle. There you would see whether it fits well or it has play. And what's not broke, don't fix it unless after a long usage factor or seeing material degrading.

#4 ·
squeaks

I spent a whole lotta money on this issue and replaced everything on the driver side to find out it was squeaking on the passenger side, well, I didnt let my mecanic do any work on the pass. side I made him apply lube it came in a syringe. $2600 vs $15 bucks I was livid. squeak is gone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.