Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Auto-Transmission won't shift to third

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Walkingheadpro 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently just bough this car and drove it about 50 miles on the highway until I reached dead traffic. Once traffic started to move again, I noticed that my car wasn't shifting to third gear causing the engine to rev very high. I could only get to 30 mph, so I got off the highway and got my car towed to my house...

Does anyone know what may have happened and how to fix it? My transmission simply won't shit after 2nd gear. I remember noticing an abrupt click noise every time it downshifted.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

my car:
W123 1982 300d Mercedes turbo-diesel.

#2 ·
I do not know what the cause is but the second gear bit is a warning. When a serious fault occurs the computer will put the car in limp mode. In limp mode you can only use second gear and it will not rev any higher than 2000 rpm, this is to prevent you from causing further damage but allows you to drive to a workshop for repairs.

#6 ·
the baterry has nothin to do with resetting it bud,u must unplug brain then plug back in that will reset the computer well the small one thats in there.
You are most probably correct, I am not a 123 nor diesel person so I am only trying to be helpful. But then I am an MB Tech lol:D

#7 ·
I just called my closet independent Mercedes service center and they said it was most likely broken bands in the transmission and could cost up to 3000 dollars to replace or rebuild the transmission. I don't have that money, and i just spent 2000 dollars buying this car. I'm screwed big time.. I don't know what to do. Should I sell it away for whatever I can get? I mean the car is unique and has the German body with the smaller bumper and all. I really like it. It kills me that I have to spend more than I spent on the car in order to fix it. I'm freaking out right now.. Someone help me out

#9 ·
Don't take someone's word for it based on a phone conversation and your description of the symptoms. Peel off a hundred or so and have a qualified MB shop run the diagnostics. You bought a bargain basement MB and as often been paraphrased here 'The most expensive car you can buy is a cheap Mercedes'. Good luck.

#10 ·
I can understand your dilema, but do not take one phone call as gospel. Try this, disconnect the battery for 10 mins and then reconnect it. See how it goes.

#11 ·
Well, I sent it to my brothers friends shop who ran a diagnosis for free. He told me the transmission is "no good" and would need a replacement. He said he could get a rebuilt one for around 1600. Including labor and fluids it would all be around 2300, which is alot cheaper than the Independent Mercedes Service guy telling me it would cost over 3000 dollars. Now at this point I am deciding between too choices. Sell the car for what its worth and move on to a different car. Or keep it, based on the notion that the car is in good condition and nothing else would brake on it for a long time.

I'm not sure which path to take. I love the car and want to keep it, but I also don't want to end up spending more money than I have on parts that keep braking. The car is in great condition, but I just fear anything can happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.