Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

External head gasket oil leak

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chop-gsxr 
#1 ·
My 96 c280 has a external head gasket oil leak. Is there a quick/easy fix other then spending $2000 to replace the head gasket? I heard of some people removing the valve cover and re-tighting the head bolts, will this be possible on my inline 6cyl. Please help, its a small leak but when i drive at highway speeds the oil drips on the exhaust and i smell a oil burning odor and see smoke when i come to a stop. Thanks!

#3 ·
You could try re-torqueing the bolts but I doubt it will help. You could try one of the many Bar's Leak products at Rislone Navigation Some guys have had good luck delaying the inevitable head gasket replacement.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220
There is no colant in the oil and there's no oil in the colant. Do you thing the head gasket products that go in the radiator will help? I had the car checked at a mercedes shop and they said it was a external oil leak only. Thanks!

#4 ·
The bars leaks product is put in the oil, not the coolant. I've been living with my external head gasket oil leak for maybe 4 or 5 years now. As long as your oil and coolant aren't mixing, and you aren't losing much oil, you should try living with it. I don't lose any appreciable amount of oil betweeen oil changes but the side of my engine is damp with a bit of oil, as is the engine undertray. I doubt it loses more than 1-200 mL every 6 months or so, so it is very easy to live with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.