Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Discussions Buy & Sell Media Albums About

• · Registered
    1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
    871 Posts
    Hey thanks! The outside has hardly changed since I got it but countless mechanical systems have been fixed, rebuilt, or improved by me. Things like the turbo, SLS system and starter motor just to name a few. I've likely spent more time under it than I have inside it even though it's now my daily driver.

· Registered
    1982 240D M/T 209,200 miles
    110 Posts
    Hi Master7Chief,
    I like your car! When I was first looking for a W123 car, my choice was a station wagon. Not many out there. After much searching, I finally decided on something with a 4-speed manual. That narrowed it down to a 240D. Very content with the 1982 240D I found in Florida. Being a 4 cylinder non-turbo though, acceleration is not a strong point. But once I hit 45-50, all is well. Good day...Carl

· Registered
    13 Posts
    ok thanks ! that is kinda what i thought but im new to theses motors and wanted a little more info from someone that knew a little more then me . thanks alot for the reply !

· Registered
    1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
    871 Posts
    I believe it is due to the turbocharger spooling up and beginning to produce enough boost to more completely burn the injected fuel resulting in a small increase in power which increases RPM, there-by further spooling the turbo, which increases boost, etc....resulting in a self increasing "cycle feedback" that continues up to ~3000RPM. The naturally aspirated version can hold a steady high idle and I noticed when my turbo waste gate was stuck open (no boost), it seemed easier to hold a high idle. So while I'm not an expert, I do believe that this "self-feeding cycle" is what causes the automatic increase in RPM.

· Registered
    13 Posts
    hey bud i posted a while back about having problems with my om617 ip you said somthing about if you bump your idle up to anything over a 1000rpm it would run up to 3000 automaticly . mine idles well under 1000 but if i bump up my rpms a little to anything over 1000 1500 it just slowly takes off by its self but as soon as i let go of the throttle it drops back down to idle right away . i was just wondering why it jumps up when you raise the rpms ?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…