Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Your Opinion/Advice Please!

712 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ifari 
#1 · (Edited)
Your Opinion/Advice Please - '02 CLK 320 vs. '05 or '06 C230!

I'm a M-B convert! Thought they were big and sedate (70's) and then rode in a newer model recently and fell in love. Drove an '06 C230, 30K mi at a private dealership and it was awesome! Found an '02 CLK 320 Cabriolet Firemist red at M-B dealership -- gorgeous, inside and out (57,727 mi)! Love the luxurious interior, convertible, tight ride, & little larger back seat of the CLK combined with sport (space concerns because have two children-already own a minivan so we can get this smaller sport model!). Just wonder how wise it is to buy a seven year old car vs. a younger model of a slightly lesser level of car (CLK is 1000 lbs heavier). The older model is a much more expensive car originally, and belief is M-B is a good solid car that lasts. Before 50K mi, '02 was certified pre-owned. Have 'champagne taste and beer budget'! Would love to hear other's thoughts!

#3 ·
The O6 and 05 230's are a little different. 05 was the last year of the supercharged (kompressor) 4cylinder. 2006 230's got a 6 cylinder and a 7speed transmission. I drove both a while back and ended up getting an 05 - it didn't feel any slower, returns better mpg, and was optioned a little better. I think MB cheapened some interior things in 2006 to help offset the more expensive drivetrain, etc.

Sounds like you really want a convertible and have other cars at home for family duty. I'd go for it but consider the fact that a 30,000 mile Cclass can be found CPO and you'll likely have 30,000 miles of troublefree operation.
Not sure if you could expect similar from an 02 CLK w/ nearly 60,000 miles (any car for that matter). Maybe find a CLK CPO as well and pay a little more.

#4 ·
I say go with the more expensive car. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, if you buy a Benz for anything less than $10,000 you get a car worth $1,000.

My car's been having anti-freeze leaks forever now, and I'm constantly working on it.

#5 ·
Champagne taste and beer budget.....tough choices.......Sedan or Convertible.........

Buy the CLK. The V6s are great runners. Very tight and solid chassis with great brakes and stylish interiors. Smoooooth.

If the example you mention has low miles and is clean and you can see the service booklet is current, it will be the better deal and car IMO.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks a Million -- Appreciate Your Responses!!!

The CLK 320 won -- I'm sure you're not surprised! We picked it up this evening and today was a gorgeous day in PA -- 65 and sunny and people were driving around in convertibles with the top down. When we arrived at the dealer the car was sitting close to the door gleaming with top down -- what a fabulous sight! Thank you for your comments and insights. I did a lot of research and considered a variety of factors. Our financing entity valued it for $4,000 more than what we paid for it, so we believe we got a great deal, and the ride is smoooooth! Thanks again!:thumbsup::D:bowdown:

#7 ·
The CLK 320 won -- I'm sure you're not surprised! We picked it up this evening and today was a gorgeous day in PA -- 65 and sunny and people were driving around in convertibles with the top down. When we arrived at the dealer the car was sitting close to the door gleaming with top down -- what a fabulous sight! Thank you for your comments and insights. I did a lot of research and considered a variety of factors. Our financing entity valued it for $4,000 more than what we paid for it, so we believe we got a great deal, and the ride is smoooooth! Thanks again!:thumbsup::D:bowdown:
Glad to help.
Welcome to the CLK crew CJ.
Congratulations and Happy Motoring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.