Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

keys

1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
hello could someone one tell me is it possible to open the boot/trunk on an 2004
E 200, by using 12 volt battery pack plug in, to the cigarette lighter then hit the button. guess were the keys are.
thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
No. But do you mean that your battery is flat too?

Edited: a bit more info would be helpful. I guess you don't have a spare key, or both keys are at the trunk?

There are a few wires you could tap the charger to if your battery is flat. I assume doors are not locked if you were considering charging the battery via the cigarette lighter? The lighter is only powered when ignition is on, that is why you cannot use that for charging the battery.

#3 ·
Model and year knowledge would really help in pinpointing the advise. If there is fuse panel inside the cabin, you can hook up battery charger on the main rail, or at least 10 amp via radio fuse.
How did you manage to lock keys in the trunk with doors unlocked will really makes me wonder. To my knowledge it is impossible on MB of last 15 years.

#4 ·
year 2004, MB e 200 locked keys in the boot called locksmith he could open the drivers door. but no power to the boot switch.
he said about 12 volt power to the lighter (but was not too sure)
is the fuse board an option .

thanks for reply

#5 ·
Any fuse that is not on the switched power rail would do. But is the battery really flat, why? Charging does not make sense unless the battery is flat.

If you want to charge the battery, some of the front fuse box big fuses should do if you don't find any other marked plus pole (the car should not have jump start poles at the engine, a pity).

#7 ·
OK, you want to find the wire that opens the trunk lock. Guess what, the trunk lid lock control motor is driven by the rear SAM, you would need to get into the trunk to feed power to the trunk lock release motor.

Does the car not wake up relevant control units when the front door is opened, to allow the trunk switch at the driver's door to signal rear SAM a request to open the trunk lid?

If you push the front door light switch, to make the car believe the door was closed and opened, is the trunk lid switch still dead?

#9 ·
That was something I was about to suggest but forgot. If the car can wait a bit for the key, then at least you (the OP) don't need to brake anything from the car to access the trunk.

If the car only had one key, then it would be better to order a whole smart key with a coded blade. Never good to have only one key, although I'm not sure if both keys were trapped to the trunk in this case.

#12 · (Edited)
So the car doors are still locked, just the trunk lock is supposed to be open?

Was the locksmith not able to open the door? Does the car have an alarm, perhaps ok to fire the alarm if you just get he key but I'm still not sure if the car's CAN-bus devices wake up when the door is opened if locks have not been opened from the remote (to allow the trunk being opened from the door switch)? Anyone ever tried (I could leave my door window open, lock the car and let the car go to sleep but it takes some time to test this)?

If doors are locked, it is obvious that the car has been designed in a way that it is not easy to access the wires that allow opening the trunk. Further more, the system works through a CAN-bus, the trunk switch is not wired to the trunk but to the door control unit that talks to the rear SAM via CAN. And as mentioned, it is not possible to access the rear SAM before the trunk is open.

An update. I tried with my W221 the following: I opened the front door window, locked the car and left it for a while to allow control unites enter sleep mode. Then I opened the door through the open window from the door handle, I could hear some devices activate but I was not able to open the trunk lid from the button at the door. Only once I had opened the locks with the remote, I was able to open the trunk from the door button.

Probably inserting the key to ignition slot would have activated the door button, I did not try but it would not help here either.

I wonder if road side assistance people could help, e.g. with star but ordering a new key (blade) sounds the least expensive option.

#13 ·
When I was buying new MB 11 years ago the salesman told us, that MB roadside assistance was actually sending shop supervisors to get the car on the roads.
When I called them couple years ago for battery replacement -they don't even carry OBD scanners. Go figure.
My guess is that the only option might be waiting for new key from a dealer (they do it in 5 days) or find a computer hacker.

#15 ·
They do minor mechanical repairs, belts, hoses, tires, batteries, fuel. The local Palm Beach dealer has a technician on call working out of his home during the evening hours, and another that kind of hangs around the dealership during the day. I would rate them as competant, not an expert. I know the service manger, shop forman, and shop supervisor, and the only time they 9forman and service manager) went out was on a weekend, and Rush Limbaugh's car gave him trouble it was either an SL or Maybach and they went to the house. I can not immagine what a scanner would tell them, the techs do have access to the parts department, but it is more for batteries, hoses or belts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.