Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

PDF

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  GeeS 
#1 ·
is there anything special i have to do to open the pdf's? they will not open for me.:surrender:

#4 ·
Run

it in firefox.:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:
remove the old adobe reader first and do a clean install.

#5 ·
Cheebs, generally there is no reason to uninstall previous adobe versions and the app is pervasive enough that you would pretty much have to format your hard drive and start from scratch if you truly wanted to uninstall it.

I would guess that the problem you are having is more likely related to your connection, PC resources or a plug-in issue. In any event just right-click on the pdf you're looking at and choose "save target" or "save as" and then once it is downloaded you can just double-click it to open it. That will almost always work.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#6 ·
what is the resulting message shown, or dialog box you see, when you attempt
to open the file. how are you attempting to open the file?

W.A.G.....

go into File Manager
right click the desired PDF file and select CHOOSE PROGRAM
select Adobe Reader....and....be sure that you click
- "Always use the selected program"

and see if this resolves the problem

#7 ·
sometimes it's also caused by the pdf file itself, there maybe some corruption in the file or it was not saved properly. Try opening other pdf files, if you can, then the problem is this particular file..

#10 ·
I've opened hundereds of PDFs in IE w/out ever having a single problem... Not sure what you're talking about...
I work in IT. 99 times out of a hundred in this situation the problem is the Acrobat plug-in to the browser, whether that is IE, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, etc. Sometimes it's corrupted by a subsequent patch (either to the browser or the app) or a conflicting app (goofball downloads that conflict with file settings or the plug-in itself) or it can also be a new digital camera or scanner that was installed with a version of Adobe photoshop "lite", elements, etc. that messes up the plug-in or a shared dll, etc.

You can easily spend hours trying to figure it out or you can simply download and open the pdf files. If you don't want to keep them it's easy enough to delete them afterwards. Plus you don't have to then be on line to view them later.

#11 ·
I work in IT. 99 times out of a hundred in this situation the problem is the Acrobat plug-in to the browser, whether that is IE, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, etc. Sometimes it's corrupted by a subsequent patch (either to the browser or the app) or a conflicting app (goofball downloads that conflict with file settings or the plug-in itself) or it can also be a new digital camera or scanner that was installed with a version of Adobe photoshop "lite", elements, etc. that messes up the plug-in or a shared dll, etc.
Agreed, and the easiest, fastest work-around is to use another browser. I had that very problem with IE a couple years back on an old PC. I never was able to cure it, but being none too fond of IE anyways, was perfectly content to throw it under a bus, and switch to another browser. Problem solved! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.