Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tint shop turned me away?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  76'benz-ford-chev 
#1 ·
Well I had an apointment with a reputable tint shop in the sf bay area and after lookin over my finnie they turned me away because the rear glass is not tempered glass and they are worried about breaking it? Anyone run in to this or was there tin guy just feelin intimidated by the bent rear glass? I wasnt goin oakland-pitch-black tint if you were worried I was going to get a light tint to try to save the interior after I have it reupholstered. Figured ide ask to see if anyone has run in to the problem before?

#2 ·
By "tempered", did he mean it wasn't safety glass? If so, then he either was intimidated or didn't know what he was talking about. All auto glass has been tempered since at least the 1950's, and the Merecedes glass of those years definitely is. Safety was one of Mercedes' big selling points back then, being one of the first automakers to crash test their cars.

#3 ·
To be honest I went to a buddys shop today who sells windshields and he said the same thing (that guys full of s*** to be exact). Thats fine I guess they dont like cash. theres a more reputable shop in the area, headin down to those guys afte rall my holidays travels are thru.

#5 · (Edited)
tempered glass is a way of making winshields in cars and they are very fragile if not handled with care. you know how when back in the days a car has a wreck and glass shards go everywhere slicing up the passengers? that's the kinda glass you have..

the new way of making tempered windshields puts a thin film of "tint" in between sheets of glass heat treating so when the car wrecks the glass "crumples" so to speak and not fly out in deadly arrowheads killing passengers that don't need to die. . if he tinted that glass, he could accidentally break it when he does his strokes to get the bubbles out. very fragile glass. you will not be able to tint it usless you do it yourself.

or something like that...

#6 ·
benz rider said:
tempered glass is a way of making winshields in cars and they are very fragile if not handled with care. you know how when back in the days a car has a wreck and glass shards go everywhere slicing up the passengers? that's the kinda glass you have..

the new way of making tempered windshields puts a thin film of "tint" in between sheets of glass heat treating so when the car wrecks the glass "crumples" so to speak and not fly out in deadly arrowheads killing passengers that don't need to die. . if he tinted that glass, he could accidentally break it when he does his strokes to get the bubbles out. very fragile glass. you will not be able to tint it usless you do it yourself.

or something like that...
The fintails have the glass that crumbles when broke. I've seen it first-hand. The glass in those old cars are made like they are today. And the glass is actually thicker and more durable than the newer cars. Have taken 1960's fintail windshields out as well as 1980's W123 models, and the fintail windshields are definitely less fragile and much heavier. Have also messed with fintail rear glass, and it can take a lot of abuse without breaking. Of course, if the edge is chipped, it might crack like any glass.

#7 ·
KCM said:
The fintails have the glass that crumbles when broke. I've seen it first-hand. The glass in those old cars are made like they are today. And the glass is actually thicker and more durable than the newer cars. Have taken 1960's fintail windshields out as well as 1980's W123 models, and the fintail windshields are definitely less fragile and much heavier. Have also messed with fintail rear glass, and it can take a lot of abuse without breaking. Of course, if the edge is chipped, it might crack like any glass.
you are correct...if the edges are chipped, it can create a nasty crack. I wouldn't let anybody tint it unless they are sure of what they are doing.

good luck:thumbsup:

#8 ·
I bought some window film for my house windows, they would not sell it until they were sure my windows were modern tempered or safety glass. The particular tint I was buying, a shade of deep black, is known in the trade as "Window Breaker Black". Apperently if used on old type glass, it is only suitable on north facing windows, as direct sunlight causes the glass to heat up & expand, if this does not happen uniformly over the whole length of the glass, it just shatters. So, far from talking BULLS**T, I think the guy was saving you a lot of hassle and extra expense in the long run.

Russ

#9 ·
johnnyIXI said:
Well I had an apointment with a reputable tint shop in the sf bay area and after lookin over my finnie they turned me away because the rear glass is not tempered glass and they are worried about breaking it? Anyone run in to this or was there tin guy just feelin intimidated by the bent rear glass? I wasnt goin oakland-pitch-black tint if you were worried I was going to get a light tint to try to save the interior after I have it reupholstered. Figured ide ask to see if anyone has run in to the problem before?
FYI, I think a Sun Valley self service wrecker is putting a fintail into the yard in the near future.

#11 ·
...tempered Weaker???

benz rider said:
you are correct...if the edges are chipped, it can create a nasty crack. I wouldn't let anybody tint it unless they are sure of what they are doing.

good luck:thumbsup:
I Work At Franciscan Glass co. and i know a bit about glass and Tempered Glass will not crack if you chip is it will Shatter(dont this a couple times with old pieces o tempered and a hammer.) and tempered glass is stronger then normal or lami. and i think the safety glass benz rider was talking about is laminated which is to pieces f glass with butal(not sure on spelling) or a vuv activated clear glue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.