Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

After getting my codes checked out, they say "Misfire Codes" for my s500

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  W208Cab 
#1 ·
I posted earlier about my 2000 s500 not starting after driving a while. It was not the crankshaft position sensor as we all thought. The mechanic is saying that the check engine light is displaying "Miss Fire Codes". He said that the cylinders are miss firing and I need to change out the spark plugs (didn't sound 100% sure). To change out the spark plugs, he quoted me $1,200 for parts and labor.

What should I do? :(

#3 ·
$1200 sounds very expensive. I changed my V6 320 engine with spark plugs, spark plugs wires for $600 after misfiring problem. Ofcourse you have more spark plugs but you should look for another mechanic. Good luck.

#5 ·
$1200 is way to much to change plugs and wires. Do some searching of the forum specific to your chassis. You can buy plugs locally and wires from several online stores. Autohaus AZ is the one I usually go with. If you dont have tools, get some. Do the job yourself. You will feel good about it.

#6 ·
Do you think it will possibly cure the issue I was having with the car not starting after long drives?

Basically, I was driving my car, parked it, shut off the engine and then tried to re-start it, but it would not start. It would just crank and then start after it cooled off which was 15-20 min later. I actually read on other parts of this forum that few other people were having problems but no one really wrote any conclusion to it on how it was fixed.

When I posted my messsage last, everyone said it could possibly be the crankshaft position sensor. However, my mechanic says that is fine and my spark plugs need to be changed which is causing my "check engine" light to be on.

But ill keep everyone posted here....

#7 ·
Your spark plugs have a life span of 5 years or 100,000 miles. If they are the original plugs, you are EIGHT YEARS in. Long drives will not solve the problem. Change the plugs.

Regarding your CPS, "everyone who responded" may have claimed it was the CPS, but that's a little different than "everyone". Most mechanics and ex-wrenches probably would have told you to dump the codes. Anything else is just throwing parts at a car and hoping one fixes it. What commonly happens when people start installing parts without checking to see whats actually wrong is someone who doesn't know what they're doing breaks a second item while installing a part that was never needed. Then the owner has two things busted.

#8 ·
This a long shot, but it has happened to me before. The next time the car will not start, put it in neutral and rock it a couple of feet. It might start. The problem I was having was the starter would get "locked up". Rolling freed it up. It might work for you. Like I said it is a long shot.

#9 ·
gahmed said:
Do you think it will possibly cure the issue I was having with the car not starting after long drives?

Basically, I was driving my car, parked it, shut off the engine and then tried to re-start it, but it would not start. It would just crank and then start after it cooled off which was 15-20 min later. I actually read on other parts of this forum that few other people were having problems but no one really wrote any conclusion to it on how it was fixed.

When I posted my messsage last, everyone said it could possibly be the crankshaft position sensor. However, my mechanic says that is fine and my spark plugs need to be changed which is causing my "check engine" light to be on.

But ill keep everyone posted here....
I hope your repair people is trust worthy. bc I had the same problem with my BMW and it turned up to be the fuel pump. the mech I was taking it to was changing every thing under the sun the plugs, coils, etc. then I got in to accident the auto body shop could not start the car after the test drive and their in house mech it was a bad fuel pump. they change it and the car have not had a problem since. this was about 2 years ago and I still have the car.

#10 · (Edited)
if you're close enough, I can take a look at it for you. PM me.

$1200 is waaay high for plugs. like mentioned above, if original, they're way overdue. I still think the not starting when hot is the cps, but would want to verify it first in person. Old brittle plug wires can cause misfires as well, at $50each, the dealer supply would make you want to replace them individually, but aftermarket complete sets can be had for about $180 last I checked. I have used them on a 2000 S430 I did plugs and wires on about a year ago and no complaints from the owner as of yet.

#11 ·
Engine not starting may or may not be the spark plug problems. My engine shook hard at idle but it always started fine. When I took it to mechanic, the handheld computer read out says engine misfires at a certain cyclinder or something like that. I doubted it was the spark plugs because the car was only 60K miles. But then it solved the problem afterwards.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.