Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Best ever Mercedes engine

8K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Kingorcus 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Do you know the lifetime expectancy of an F1 engine? Or the amount of fuel you have to put into this Mercedes V12? Of course, it could be best ever for its power...but there are different engines for different purposes. There are engines built for durability, others for low consumption.. others like this one for pure power. I would say that the best engines are those properly used and maintained; they could last a lifetime. And that is the kind of "best ever"satisfaction I'm looking for.

Chris

#5 ·
Kajtek1 said:
Yeah. What's the criteria for "Best"
I consider the best car engine EVER the 78-85 300 turbo diesel. Not only good power (at the time) but no other engine had potential to run 700,000 miles even when neglected.
That's right but we can do better.
It has been proven that this OM917.xxx engines can be a power house
too(see links) albeit with some modifications, but isn't that the fun of it all.
Pair that with the long life expectancy of these engines and I'm
sure that there is no doubt which is the best MB engine.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/classic...mercedes-benz-c-111-power,-elegance-and-speed

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v296/kolja1/Viteot/?action=view&current=matskuu-1.flv

http://www.kolumbus.fi/valtonen.motorsport/

Louis.

#17 ·
sunman said:
m119 V8 FI engine. Sooooo Silky Smooth.
I am kinda partial to those myself. And one is getting ready to get a little Forced Induction. Whooooooooooooooooooooosh

#18 ·
mix.man said:
Do you know the lifetime expectancy of an F1 engine? Or the amount of fuel you have to put into this Mercedes V12? Of course, it could be best ever for its power...but there are different engines for different purposes. There are engines built for durability, others for low consumption.. others like this one for pure power. I would say that the best engines are those properly used and maintained; they could last a lifetime. And that is the kind of "best ever"satisfaction I'm looking for.

Chris
I totally agree. It depends on application. Many years ago there was an endurance race across the continents of Europe and Africa. It took months through every terain and weather. You could have entered your V12 along with some of the other exotic cars. Land Rovers and just about everything else left the start line loaded with every conceivable spare part with anticipation of problems on the trip. I'll bet the V12 would have never made it. Now here's the kicker. One of the few finalists to finish the race was a Chinese guy and his son driving a Mercedes 220D with just a spare tire for parts.

#21 ·
mix.man said:
:eek: I'll be.. When did this race take place?! Are there any pics?
I don't think so. The accident risk might be too high since there are Asians behind the wheel, for anyone to be near them.

#24 ·
any one who wants to go on the longevity race i'm in. catalogue all maintenance costs, oil changes, timing chains and what not. get back to me in 300k and we will determine the winner.

76' 300D 460k, second motor
another 30 years and i'll be placing the million mile badge on her

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.