Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MB VS BMW - competition continues...

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  hawk20 
#1 ·
And the competition continues - MB is set to introduce the GLK to rival BMW's X3. The GLK is to be based on a station wagon C-class.

In return BMW is planning a 4-door coupe based on the 6-series to rival the MB CLS.

The fun goes on... :D

#3 ·
dmg said:
bmw is always one step ahead and already has a big pelethra of products already out with a good reputation, so we'll just have to wait and see..
Let me have my doubts about it..Do they have an A class?a B class? a R class?a CLS class?a Gl?..The only category BMW is really ahead is the X3.I think the pelethra of MB is bigger.

#6 ·
MB vs BMW without end

flyboyike said:
Isn't the 1-series more or less like the B-Class?
Not the same but for MB,Bclass and 1series are competitors in the same segment.My point is that MB has also a big pelethra of models,especially the last years..Anyway i think we all agree that the competition between MB and BMW will allways exist and because we had this matter many times on stage in this forum i stop here.

#8 ·
Jason.Bare said:
Yes, but guess which company sells more cars with only 2/3 of the lineup of MB?
Unfortunately true. However to make MB and BMW both look bad, how many vehicles has Lexus sold with only 8 models and only 17 trim levels total currently?

#9 ·
Well... I like to do life test on cars and so far the 750 IL I bought in the past was one of the lemons.
BMW is famous for putting modern technology without appropriate testing, so is more prone to malfunction.
MB comes with those gadgets a year later, but they (usually) work.
BMW supposable makes excellent diesels. Anybody owns one in US?

#10 ·
dahappybanana said:
the competition between BMW and Mercedes only means one thing. Better products for consumers. When companies compete, we win.
Thats right I agree...plus MB makes a car that will smoke anything BMW makes

#11 · (Edited)
flyboyike said:
Isn't the 1-series more or less like the B-Class?
You must be joking. The 1 series competes with the A class though the 1 series is nowhere near as roomy. See the Autocar magazine review where the A class was chosen as best.

The B class is amazingly as roomy as an E class -actually a bit bigger inside. And has a boot as big as an S class (over 500 litres) with the seats in place and much bigger with them down. It is a hatchback whereas the 1 series is best thought of as an ugly, cramped piece of nonsense.

The BMW 5, 6 and 7 series are all ugly IMO. The 3 series is now common as muck in the UK having outsold the Ford Mondeo.

#13 ·
People who buy BMW can't afford to buy Mercedes.

thats how i like to think about it :)

#17 ·
I've read before where BMW has overtaken Mercedes-Benz as the world’s #1 luxury car manufacturer. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean the better company is the one that sells more cars? If that’s the criteria by which a manufacturer is judged, wouldn't that mean GM is #1? Unless of course, the term "luxury car" means an indulging ones motoring senses at prices above $50K. Even then, are sheer numbers the defining factor for the #1 manufacturer? If so, this sounds like more of a sales race than a measurement of desirability. Toyota sells a lot more cars than Bentley, but would anyone really rather spend the weekend in an LS430 over an Arnage?

#18 ·
Merc does have too many models, IMHO. The A- and B-classes are completely unnecessary, and should be made by Chrysler instead of Merc.

Cannot agree more about competition being a good thing. Adding to competition (and this thread) - BMW is also planning a Z8 to take a bite out of the MB SL share... Will this make SL any better? Probably, even though difficult to imagine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.