Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sunoco 91/94 octane vs. Shell V-Power 91 octane

18K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  asianml 
#1 ·
I've been using Shell V-Power 91 octane all along and is the highest octane I can get here.

A friend told me that Sunoco gas has ethanol. Why is this good for your car?

Which of the above fuel do you use? Any why? Would you choose Sunoco 91 octane over Shell 91 octane?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
There's absolutely no difference in the basic gasoline formulation bewteen Shell and Sunoco. In fact, depending where you live, the actual gas you buy may not been made by either of those companies.

The difference is generally in the additives that are pumped into the tanker truck at the terminal. Things that affect emissions are generally mandated by the state or federal EPA's.

Although the marketing departments of each oil company might disagree, your C230 will find no difference between brands with the same octane ratings.

Regards-

#3 ·
JBeans - 11/12/2005 10:23 PM

I've been using Shell V-Power 91 octane all along and is the highest octane I can get here.

A friend told me that Sunoco gas has ethanol. Why is this good for your car?

Which of the above fuel do you use? Any why? Would you choose Sunoco 91 octane over Shell 91 octane?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks.
The Shell 91 might well have ethanol in it too. It's not uncommon for most gasolines to have between 10-15% ethanol in the mix. To answer your question, there's nothing about ethanol that's "good for your car". It's a little better than gasoline, environmentally, and it's produced from domestic grains such as corn, rather than being made from imported oil, but that's about it. In high concentrations, it can damage rubber and plastic parts, but by law, cars built in the last few years have to be able to handle up to 15% ethanol without modifications.

I think both brands of 91-octane will perform about the same in your car.

Scott

#5 ·
They both will do the same for your car. Nomuch difference. I have used both for my ML. No difference at all. I would prefer Shell over Sunoco, but I can't say why. I don't knwo why I prefer, I think it may just be that I'm biased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.