Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

928 engine

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  foxint 
#1 ·
Yes it's me again sorry,

I being looking for a good engine to replace my 230 that will give me more power and after reading from the forum and asking questions here, I think that going in to M110 with euro specs will be the best bang for buck.

but after reading and reading here, about all the engine swaps, I still do not know what to do and I'm more confused.

I want my G for daily driving, especialy during winter( in minessota), and for occasionaly light offroad,
but I realy want some power.

So here are my questions:

1) I keep reading that the 928 porsche engine bolt right to the G auto box, so how difficult it is to do that swap and how practical it is? can the axel take the extra power?

2) what is the best engine to use for old G (M104,M103,M117,M116) looking for power and practicality?

thank you JV

See less See more
#2 ·
Axles will over time require service regardless so maybe your gonna shorten their life, but in my reading here, i'd venture that the tranny's are the weakest link you'll be facing...

Don't know about the 928 motor.

(sorry guys for all the posts... wisdom teeth got pulled... killin' time.)

#3 ·
While Mercedes provided the "guts" for the 928 automatics, the 928 has a transaxle(tarnsmission and rear differential in unit) in the rear so a Mercedes trans was never actually bolted to a 928 engine. Is the bolt pattern the same? I don't know the answer to that one.

The next issue is that the 928 engine is OHC in early versions and DOHC in later versions. This is a pretty wide powerplant, the old single cam versions might fit but the newer ones would be tough. If you want V8 power, why not use MB V8 power?

Then the transmission issue came up. The standard trans in a 460 is not going to take V8 abuse for long. This brings me back to MB V8 power and an MB auto trans combo, it is by far the easiest swap. There are a couple forum members who have done 5.6L V8 swaps.

The transfer case was never never meant for V8 power either, nor the axles. Really, if you want a powerful G-wagen, just buy a newer version.

#6 ·
like brent says go for the 500 or 560 merc engine with auto box. Ive just paid £300 for a 500 with auto box thats done 38,000. But the gearbox will have to be dismantled and the clutch plate rivets will have to be welded as any abuse off road and they shear and good buy gearbox.

#7 ·
Thank you guys for all the help
I think I may my mind, I'm going to up grade to a 280, probably with EURO specs.
I do not think I need more that.
I can wait to get the G out for a drive, It's is probably ready by the end of the week.

Thanks again

JV[:)]

#8 ·
Back in the early days of the 463 planning, there was a scheme to power the next generation of Gwagen with a Porsche V8 engine. This might reflect a degree of compatibility of engine and transmission during that period (late 1980's - early 1990's?).

I would stay with MB powerplants, and increase modestly. The 460's transfercase/clutch/drivelines/brakes was not really designed for huge powerplants with two and three times the horsepower and speed.

#12 ·
Equipped with Kevlar shells and aluminium doors and engine lids, all three cars used normally aspirated engines producing 231bhp at 6000rpm. There were more durable shocks and 30cms of ground clearance, but the success of 1984 was not to be repeated. All three entries retired, Mass from an early accident, Ickx hitting rocks at speed and Metge dropping out around half way with a broken oil line that destroyed his engine. Nevertheless, Porsche would be back in 1986 with new cars and an elaborate entourage. That year would mark the last factory assault for Porsche on the late Thierry Sabine’s epic event and they arrived knowing that nothing short of outright victory would be acceptable. Three 959's were supported by a Porsche 928-engined Mercedes G-Wagon, two huge MAN trucks brimming with spares and even an aeroplane. Once again, Ickx and Metge had a car each, the third 959 being taken by Roland Kussmaul and Kendrick Unger. The 959's electronic ride-height control and ABS were junked, the suspension undergoing rigorous development in order to survive the harrowing marathon to Dakar. Weighing in 100kg lighter than the 959 Sport, performance was immensely impressive with a reliable 370bhp on tap although for some special stages, as much as 450bhp was unleashed.

#13 ·
Interesting thread.

I am going to turn it around and ask a similar question, but in reverse – sort of…..

Since Porsche 928 engines are expensive (I have a basic, probably cheapest) 928.4.5 litre and thinking of a cheap way to not do a $Porsche$ engine build. I only have about 180kW and this is not great.

But what V-8 Mercedes engine can I put into the 928. It has a Mercedes 3-speed box and I am thinking of upgrade to 4 speed auto.

Yes this is a stupid question, but I am almost divorced and soon I can do all the stupid things, without being told it is a stupid thing.

Dan
AU
W201 2.6 Sportline

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.