Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

KEY FOB replacement and programming

126K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  JornSBeam 
#1 ·
So, I finally get my car home after having my shop service it - and runs good - but the one and only key is MIA within 1 hr of it being home and I have looked EVERYWHERE!!!!!

I see key fobs on Ebay for $50 - OEM - but need to be programmed - is there anyone in the Hopewell NJ area that has the software to do this or do I have to have a dealership do it? Secondly - does the car have to go to the dealership too or can they go off the VIN number?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
No one has the software to do it. The used shells on ebay are good only for the shell, the keys cannot be reprogrammed.

You have to get the key from the dealer. You will have to take your title/registration with you to order it, as well as the VIN. Then take it back when you pick it up.

Call all the dealers in your area, since they charge whatever they want.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Um, yeah, I know *exactly* what you're talking about.

Have the guy on ebay give you a specific place where you can get it reprogrammed, because there isn't one. He'll tell you any dealer or some such stupid nonsense. Call your dealer. Call MBUSA. Call NASA for that matter. Believe it or not, sellers actually lie on ebay sometimes.

If you can't find someone to reprogram it before you buy it, you won't be able to find one after, either.

There are several hundred threads on this forum on this exact topic, and not one person has ever been able to get a used key reprogrammed.

But hey, don't believe me. The longer you dink around before calling the dealer to arrange to order one, the longer you won't be able to drive your car. When you get to that point, you might ask if they'll give you a discount if you buy two, then you at least will still have a car if you misplace one in the future.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Save yourself a lot of time/frustration and believe what Greg is telling you. And regarding ebay and Mercedes in general: there are a lot of other worthless replacement parts peddled on there so be very careful before buying mass air flow sensors, brake light switches and a host of other things.

#18 ·
Save yourself a lot of time/frustration and believe what Greg is telling you. And regarding ebay and Mercedes in general: there are a lot of other worthless replacement parts peddled on there so be very careful before buying mass air flow sensors, brake light switches and a host of other things.[/

Hi I'm in Australia and I Just had a new key done for my w204 c200 cost me $A450 from a Mr Minute Franchise at Strathpine Qld. They have a computer tech with new apps etc who does it. It can be done other than going to Mercedes and getting ripped off. Better still they came to my house and did it from a mobile van, only took a couple of hours. Money well spent.
They had to find the password which took the most time but when they did, they supplied a blank and coded it to my car. He reckons he can do most cars Jap and Euro.

I would have thought if someone from Down under can do it should be someone over there who can.

#9 ·
I should of looked up BenzWorld before I bought my Benz. I bought a 2004 ML 350 about 6 weeks ago and so far the car is one of the best used cars I have ever driven. I usually drive Jeep Grand Cherokee's, and the Benz is in a different world. I only had one key with the ML and ordered a used key fob with a new flip out key from Ebay, well that was money lost. After three trips to the dealer and almost $ 200.00 I now have an extra key fob. I have worked at car dealerships for the past fourty years and I have never felt so closed off as I have from the Benz dealer. Working in the business I have never paid retail for parts until now. They said no break on parts price no deal. And whats up with service manuals No one sells one that I can find. I bought some out of date dvd from Ebay. and I can't make sense of how it works. It looks like some sort of factory electronic manual but no instructions. Does anyone make a diy manual for the basic task ?

#11 · (Edited)
The blade of my key FOB broke off from the FOB and you can buy a replacement blade for ~$50 and they will repair it for free. It seems like a common tactic for the telling you that you need a new set of FOBs once your blades broken, it's not true. I know over here a set of 3 FOB's is $250 with $150 to program. Valet keys are $33. Most take 1-2 business days. And YES, you cannot reprogram used FOB's

I recently ordered a valet key and FOB blade and am waiting to order a new set of FOB's with the $100 off coupon thats been circulating around =p.

You ever need an extra hand or eye let me know. Also Mercedes Benz of Cincinnati on Montgomery Road had beyond exceptional service. Don't go to the Mercedes dealer in West Chester they're terrible.

#10 ·
Try buying a service DVD from MBUSA (1-800-FOR-MERC). But it seems like your dealer could get you one for the same price without paying s/h. I don't know if those come with instructions. Also scroll down from here until you see the ML-Class area. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

#13 ·
Reprogram? No. Locksmiths do not reprogram Mercedes anything. Some may have the software to program a new key but nobody can reprogram. Plus, finding a locksmith that even touches Mercedes fobs (yes they can cut blades for mechanical keys) is hard to find since the cost isn't worth it to most.

#14 ·
I know about at least 2 of guys in US who can reprogram the knob, but they are not really cost-efficient, when I can buy new knob for $180 from dealer.
Would you travel to Eastern Europe, licensed shops reprogram the knobs for about $50, but you need to have the ignition switch with you.

#15 ·
My steering lock failed to open.
Transported car C180K to main dealer.
After 3 weeks and new key from Germany they wanted permission to break the lock.
I contacted my local locksmith who drove 60 miles to the dealer, opened the lock and repaired it within an hour.

He also reprogrammed an old fob as MB had lost my spare.

MB Galway Ireland charged 350 Euro for their failed attempt and the locksmith charged 230 after he had made a successful repair.

Main dealers do not know everything.

#16 ·
MB Galway Ireland charged 350 Euro for their failed attempt and the locksmith charged 230 after he had made a successful repair.
We do have plenty of dealers like that in US, but we sure could use such locksmiths.
You are happy having one as I know a guy in Florida, who after 2 years and spending over $2000 on ignition parts replacement, still has his W210 park on backyard.

#21 ·
I worked with franchised dealer 41 years as a technician. Only 7 keys available on key rail. Cannot be over written; duplicated). Once last key( 7) used you are finished and cannot replace (add) another key. Must replace numerous computers. Vehicle is a total loss...

#22 ·
For those who wish to defeat the drive authorization to reprogram a key good luck.
you cannot hack into Das 2a and on. 163 my 2000 on. Once we hit key 7 on available keys you replace Me, Dam, cluster, with new keys. Then pay big bucks at franchised dealer to accomplish.
All these keys for sale are paper weights. On 98-99 163 DAS is in AAM module in fuse box. 2000 much more secure. I have seen unlocked ME fuel computers on u-tube and those who reprogram. This was on 98-99 my.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.