Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Windshield tinting composition

806 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Check Codes 
#1 ·
On a late model (01') MB does anyone know the composition of the tinting of the darkened area around the rearview mirror in the top center of the windshield? Is there any metal compound that would reduce the reception of a radar detector mounted inside, directly behind it? The vehicle is equiped with rain sensor option. Thanks.
Glenn B

#3 ·
I don't know if there's metal in it or not, but I have a little electronic sensor behind it for bridge tolls and it reads through it just fine.

That said, for a radar detector it doesn't have to be metal; anything that blocks line-of-sight between the radar detector and the source will reduce the effective warning distance of the detector, be it trees, hills or little opaque shading dots on the windshield. (I've seen some people mount them low, right at the dash, behind the wiper mechanism...not the best spot!)

FWIW, I usually mount my radar detector directly to the left of the shaded-dot area as high as possible; so long as you're not in an area where it's illegal to have them I don't think the few inches one way or the other will do anything re: reception/warning distance.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.