Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Things I should know about tinting?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  malibuite 
#1 ·
I've never tinted the windows on a car before. Is there anything I should know or look out for? I'd like to get a nice quality film.

I just bought an '85 190D (hot rod!).

Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, it's pretty tough to do yourself and get a perfect result, especially if you've never done it before. If you're really set on doing it yourself, get some cheap stuff at Wal-mart and practice a few times, because you will get bubbles, creases, tears, and cut it uneven.
But personally, I would recommend having it professionally done. Seriously, by the time you are done practicing/learning AND buying "nice quality film" and some of the tools you will need, you will end up spending more than you probably want to, and still probably wont get professional results.

- Nik

#3 ·
Whoa. I didn't mean to imply that i would be doing the tinting. Not interested in that at all. Definitely looking to get a shop to do it. Haven't heard of any recommendations yet here in Atlanta.

I'm looking more for recommendations as far as the film, or other things i should note or tell the installer. I'd like a fairly light tint, but one that keeps out a good degree of the sun and summer heat down here.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Sorry about that, i just thought "I've never tinted" meant you were going to do it yourself.

- Nik

#5 ·
DA_SURG - 12/22/2004 3:08 AM

Sorry about that, i just thought "I've never tinted" meant you were going to do it yourself.
No prob. Reading it again i wasn't very clear.

Anyway, this girl i used to date recommended some tint that has metal in the film (according to her, anyway). Doesn't sound like it's too dark or even silver.

#6 ·
I remember hearing something about the "metallic" in tint can mess up your radio reception (since your 'antenna' is in the rear window - at least on my 04.5 C).

Be careful where you go. Some places use really cheap tint: for example, the tint may be dark from the outside looking in, but it could darn well be from the inside looking out). Newer tint has eliminated a lot of this problem, but a few places (usually the ones that only charge $100+) use poor quality tint.

As in terms of percentages: 20% tint will be dark, but nothing ridiculous. Take into account the color of your car (black ext., black int.). A black/black combo will make 20% tint look EXTREMELY dark.

If you want something light, you may want to try 35%. Personally, I'd get 20%. 35% can sometimes be too light when it's really sunny.

Also take into account the law enforcement in your area. Most states, anything below 50% is illegal (although that law is ridiculous). I believe in Cali, you can't even tint your front two windows period!

Check out http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html - for some tint laws. There are better sites out there, but this is what came up in my Google.

Good luck

#7 ·
I've always gotten 3M Panther Black window tint (they have various degrees of darkness)..... but then again I may be buyest since I worked there.... but I that's what I got in my car after I left.

Anyhoo around here there are shops called 3M Trimline, I don't know if they exist in the US. But you should be able to go to the 3M website www.mmm.com and see if you can located a dealer near you. Try searching for Automotive Aftermarket... or search for 3M Panther .... you get the drift.

#8 ·
You want Huper Optic. It is the best tint, more expensive than most, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.huperoptic.com/consumer_auto.cfm

You can email them and they will give you the name of a local dealer who will install it for you. The color you want is probably Ceramic 40.

#9 ·
The metallic won't mess up your radio, however if you do get any degree of metallic tint and have navigation, it will no longer be functional. The GPS won't be able to find it's way.

#10 ·
Metallic tint WILL screw your radio on any model Benz that has the antenna in the rear window. I had to replace the tint in the back of my E430 for that exact reason. It will NOT affect your nav or phone reception because the antennas for these 2 functions aren't in the window. Best to just pass on metallic tints. Most reputable shops already know this about MB's. If not, they don't have enough experience to be working on your car IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.