Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

280SE

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  67SEL 
#1 ·
Just bought a 1980 280SE (old enough for vintage?),
I'm new to MB's. I believe it is a euro model. The stickers and plaques on it are in Engligh/German or just German. What can you all tell me about this car. Pd. $1000 it has 208,000 mi but seems to run really well. I've driven it about 1000 Mi w/ no problems. Something tells me this won't be my last MB.

Thanks

Tim

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there! Nice car and great deal.

It is a W126, so it is not considered a vintage, but one for the W126 forums.

It is not Euro because those are US lights.

The engine is the DOHC 2.8L Inline 6.

Dual climate zones...nice!

In miles or km's?

Take care,

Tory

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. It's 208,000 miles (I wish it was Km!) There's rust through in the both front quaterpanels, I plan on replacing and getting a good paint job as soon as finances allow. For now I'm enjoying driving in the summer here in the Colorado mountians.

Tim

#5 ·
Hi,
it is definately a Euro car.
MBZ never imported 126 models with a 6 cylinder gas engine and there were no US 126s in 1980.
You can also tell from the short bumpers and the manual A/C.
Most likely the car came in in the mid 80s when the US curreny was really high and it was much easier to import grey market cars.
Your twin cam inline 6 is one of the best Mercedes engines ever produced and it is almost bullet proof as long as it gets some decent maintenance.
It is rated at 185 hp in Euro trim without a catalytic converter.

Best regards
Hans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.