Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

front windshield chrome trim w108

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Scoot 
#1 ·
Hello All:

Just got back my 72 280 SE 4.5 from the shop to install a new headliner.
Is there a trick or any tips to reinstalling the chrome trim on the front windshield?
I thought it would just slip back into the channel that the windshield rubber has. I have tried to slide it in, push and then pound it in with now avail.

What am I missing? Any tips would be appreciated.

#3 ·
And there's no better way to put the chrome back in without the whole assembly out. I cracked a windshield trying to force it, years ago.

I'd recommend you find a restoration shop that has knowledge about these setups. Otherwise, Safelite or other like go-to-you windshield shops may do more damage than not.

#4 ·
I had my rear windshield done recently and the removal and installation went perfectly. Thanks to many posts on this topic, there was no way I'd use Safelight, JN Phillips, Giant Glass, etc. I'm 43 years old and was looking for a glass expert at least 53 years or older. I found the guy from a local autobody shop who placed me in contact with him. It went through insurance claim. I was told 1600+$$ for one from Pilkington NA, from Toledo OH. We waited 4 weeks and upon its arrival, was the wrong part #. Pilkington had 3 left in stock. All 4 of them were labled incorrectly, as they didn't fit the w116 chasis. I called MB Classic Center Irvine CA who called me ASAP and said no way and no help locating one. They put me in touch with SoCal Mercedes. I called SoCal and they had one, but informed me never possible to ship one from CA to MA, as no trucker would take the job. Suggested local salvage yards, etc. They were kind enough to run their database and found them for me, 2 up in Berlin NH, 1 Shirley MA and 2 in PA. I got it the next day from Shirley MA for 80 bucks ( 100, but 20 bucks off because no metal trim), but the only hitch was it wasn't heated glass, so I had to forgoe this option. Rear glass from Berlin NH was heated, but tinted with many wires running through it. I decided against it since my original 76 280S glass was crystal clear and without wires. I ordered a nice gasket from Euro Parts and it fit perfectly. My glass guy removed all the trim, popped out the glass, applied the gasket with adhesive, installed the trim, then used the corded rope method to install the glass+gasket+trim all at once. The results was amazing, but I miss my rear heated glass. Any Massholes interested, I got the guy for you - ex30 year employee of Safelight, who went on his own. In fact, Safelight subs a lot of jobs to him on the more tricky ones. My old cracked glass and new one without heater glass both have same logo embossed in the lower left corner. "Made in West Germany". Infra [Sigla], GD, D-79, Any ideas? Thanks, endless....

#5 ·
Yeah, the "modern" glass shops don't do windshield replacements like this and you don't want to take your car there unless you know they have someone who is experienced with the type of windshield gaskets that also have trim strips installed. Windshield has to come out, trim gets installed in the gasket before the whole thing gets put in the car. If you try to do otherwise you will either break the windshield ore bend the trim, and still not end up with it installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.