Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1957 220S

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mark DiSilvestro 
#1 ·
Hi! My father has a 4-dr Mercedes 220S that has been sitting in a covered building for the past 20 years. The reason it is sitting inside is because the engine was taken apart so that it could be thoroughly cleaned, however, it never got put back together.

Considering that I am not mechanically inclinded, I seriously doubt that I could follow the diagrams in the original manual...not to mention the German language. So, I am looking for someone in the Central Ohio area whom I could contact regarding fixing the car for me. However, I am open to selling the car, even though I'm in love with what this car could end up looking like when it's finished.

#2 ·
You've got a real expert in central Ohio, Joe Alexander in Columbus, Gahanna actually. ja17@worldnet.att.net.

If you decide you want to sell it, send me the info and I can post it to our ponton group. We have about 300 owners there. You might also want to snoop around the following webpage, http://www.mbzponton.org/.

Len
'59 220S Cabriolet

#4 ·
It's the right link. Must just be down temporarily. That is unusual for that site. Make sure you don't use the "period" at the end of the link. If I am missing an error in that link somehow, you can always do a google serach for Mercedes ponton and the Ponton Page comes up in the first two or three hits.

Len

#6 ·
Hi i got 1958 220s its really nice car. On the freeway looks like engine has power and transmission need the 5th gear but its not there and car is not going fast. I look under the car there is wire going out of transmission top and connected nowhere. Pleas advise me where is those wires suppose to be connected?? Is it some kind of overdrive wires?
Thank you

#7 ·
No overdrive - no fifth gear. The car revs pretty high at highway speeds, but that's the way it is designed. Does your speedometer work? That's about the only wire coming out of the transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.