Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1965 230SL Pagoda engine number

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr. Sternschnuppe 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking at a 230SL, but the engine number is confusing me. The first 3 digits seem ok, (127), but the second three are 010, which I can't find in any Mercedes engine number lists.

981 would be the correct for an original engine, right? Any idea on the 010 numbers.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Mark

#3 ·
Hi all. I'm looking at a 230SL, but the engine number is confusing me. The first 3 digits seem ok, (127), but the second three are 010, which I can't find in any Mercedes engine number lists.
I think, the 127 010 XX XX is a p/n for some engine's part.
The engine-Nr. is stamped on the block & engine's ID plate.

#6 ·
Pagoda engine number.

Hello,

I'm interested to buy a Mercedes 230SL Pagoda. The seller has no data card from Mercedes and he sent me photos of the car with the chassis number (11304210000162). He also said to me that there is no plate with the engine number on it and he sent me a photo of the numbers that the engine has on. The numbers on the are 130 016 00 001 and it has also the numbers 29.8.2 above and from the opposite side. I mean that you have to turn the photo upside-down to see them. Can you please help me to find out if the engine is the original?

#7 ·
This has to be one of the most confusing threads ever appearing on this site - two separate individuals questioning engine numbers and an established member trying to be helpful by posting a picture of an engine number plate location, which picture is then misinterpreted by yet another person as belonging to one of the engines being questioned.

Markd, please provide a photograph of the number plate you are questioning. Ringo13Star, please start a new thread with your inquiry so as to limit the cross contamination of responses and be sure to attach a copy of the photo you received.

#8 ·
"Pete Lesler: There is no actual direct correlation from engine numbers to chassis numbers, unless you have the original build card with the car. Engine numbers are sequential, and usually are a few hundreds of digits lower than the chassis numbers, accounting for the different numbers given to automatic trans models and manual trans models. You would need the IBM build card furnished with the car to verify engine swapping."

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Engine/Start

Have the seller contact the Classic Center and get the build card. it only takes a few days to do and is free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.